The discussions on this issue have confused me some. Is it the intention to have a replacement for the ...functionTests/util/DerbyJUnitTest class?

Yes, the intention is to provide a common base class with can be reused when writing .junit tests. Initially the issue was to fix DerbyJUnitTest, and all the subclasses to be compatible with running tests as .junit. I think that is still a long term goal. However developers do want something they can use now, and they want to provide reusable Junit components. Therefore providing a new class may be the shortest path to that goal.

Could it possibly be used in tests that currently run as .junit from within the functionTests/harness ?
Or would it be a third setup?

This would be compatible with running tests as .junit.

Andreas

Thx, Myrna