Thanks, Øystein, that was what I determined also. I fixed the placement of arguments so they are correct. But I have to think about your point of this information not being useful. I tend to agree, I think the stack trace should be sufficient actually. There's not a lot of useful information here.

So if nobody is of an opposite opinion, I can turn it into a simple message:

"A communication error has been detected: {0}" where {0} is the message of the underlying exception. I can then chain the underlying exception and I think that should be sufficient. It's not like we would ever use anything *besides* TCP/IP and sockets...

David

Øystein Grøvlen wrote:
It seems to me that these messages can never ever been verified. Also in the case where values are provided, it does not match the leading text. (E.g., location is given as the first parameter, but should have been the third.) See my comment in another thread http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/5822

In my opinion, such detailed debug information does not belong in standard SQL exceptions.

--
Øystein

David W. Van Couvering wrote:
Hi. Can anyone explain to me how this works? In the close_ method of client.net.NetAgent.java there is the following code:

                accumulatedExceptions =
new SqlException(logWriter_, e, "A communication error has been detected. " +
                        "Communication protocol being used: {0}. " +
                        "Communication API being used: {1}. " +
                        "Location where the error was detected: {2}. " +
"Communication function detecting the error: {3}. " + "Protocol specific error codes(s) {4}, {5}, {6}. " +
                        "TCP/IP " + "SOCKETS " + "Agent.close() " +
"InputStream.close() " + e.getMessage() + " " + "* " + "0");

Note the massive use of placeholders, and then none of the values for the placeholders are provided.

This is repeated three times throughout the close() method as exceptions are accumulated.

I track through to the SqlException code and the message appears to be simply stored verbatim and ultimately a chain of SqlExceptions are thrown to the user, with the placeholders not filled in.

I did a little test to throw this exception unconditionally and, which is what I would have expected, I get the following text:

> java.sql.SQLException: A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: {0}. Communication API being used: {1}. Location where the error was detected: {2}. Communication function detecting the error: {3}. Protoc ol specific error codes(s) {4}, {5}, {6}. TCP/IP SOCKETS Agent.close() InputStre
am.close() blahblah * 0

Am I missing some magic here? Or is this just a bug that was never uncovered?

Thanks,

David