Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway:
> I have added some more information for the LRU-based cache manager
> project.  I think several of the descriptions needs to be worked in
> order to be made more attractive to students, but I guess that should be
> the responsibility of the mentor.

Personally I think the LRU cache manager project looks interesting. It
has quite well defined boundaries, and the potential to improve Derby's
performance a bit if done right. I like that. =)

<offtopic rant>

As part of my computer science studies I'm planning to do a project on
Derby's SMP scalability next semester. (Search for "SMP" in [1] for a
description).

The desire for a somewhat meaningful and interesting project task next
year was one of my primary motivations for starting to play around with
Derby. My girlfriend has now spent almost a year drawing boxes and
arrows, modeling "distributed graphical user interfaces", and writing
lots of text - but no code.

I'd rather do something that can be more immediately useful - whether it
is performance analysis or coding, I'd like to spend my time and energy
working on something that could possibly be of use to somebody. =)

That's why I started lurking on the email lists and hunting for trivial
tasks in JIRA - to make myself more familiar with how Derby (the
database _and_ the project) works. I've spent quite a few hours just
browsing the code and trying to figure out how the different parts of
Derby fit together and where the little change needed to fix a JIRA
issue has to be made. =)

Anyway, I'll probably have some free time this summer, and if the
weather in Trondheim isn't great (it usually isn't =/) I'll probably
end up hacking a little Derby and putting little diffs in JIRA every
once in a while.

The LRU cache manager project could be interesting even without Summer
of Code incentives, but, of course, they don't hurt.  Now, there are
lots of student applying for SoC, and chances are I'm not going to be
one of the "winners", but with some help from the experienced people on
this list it could be a fun and challenging pastime anyway. =)

[1]:
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/undervisning/prosjektoppgaver.php?utvalg=fordypning

--
Anders Morken

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right!