This is required.

Daniel John Debrunner (JIRA) wrote:
    [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1253?page=comments#action_12376549 ]

Daniel John Debrunner commented on DERBY-1253:

Is this mandatory/optional method scheme discussed in the JDBC 4.0 spec? In my latest copy of the spec and java doc I cannot find any reference to it. I do see the concept of "Required Interface" but that says any unimplemented methods can throw SQLFeatureNotSupportedException.

Verify that we don't raise SQLFeatureNotSupportedException for mandatory methods

         Key: DERBY-1253
     Project: Derby
        Type: Improvement

  Components: JDBC
    Versions: 10.2.0.0
    Reporter: Rick Hillegas
    Assignee: Dyre Tjeldvoll
     Fix For: 10.2.0.0
 Attachments: bug1253_verifier.diff

The jdk16 javadoc marks optional methods as being able to raise SQLFeatureNotSupportedException. Make sure that we don't raise this exception for mandatory methods--unless we clearly understand why we have chosen to deviate from the JDBC spec.