Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I have generated the 10.2 snapshot and wired it into a Derby website on
> my machine. Now I need to check this in. However, I don't know what to
> make of the following advice from the snapshot cookbook
> (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease): "NOTE: you
> should revert any changed files in build/tmp or build/site/skin."
<snip>
> I'm happy to revert these checkouts but I'm a bit flummoxed by the fact
> that the website cookbook
> (http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/derby_web.html) doesn't mention the
> need to revert skin artifacts. What should I do?

It's a case of dueling operating systems where forrest (incorrectly but
harmlessly) generates files slightly differently on Windows vs. Unix and
Mac. I last described the issue here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200602.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

Probably the revert wording in DerbySnapshotOrRelease was picked up from
that post. I've been reverting changes (or trying to revert) because I'm
the only Linux builder I'm aware of. But in the big web site reorg back
in April I committed all changes, so this would cause the diffs to show
up for the next builder on Windows.

In fact, it's actually ok to commit those changes. Diffs will be
generated for the next person who builds on a different operating system.

I don't feel that I have any better handle on this than when I last
posted, but I'll check the forrest list for recent activity on the
topic, then update derby_web.html with what I do know.

Just out of curiosity, what platform are you building on? --You have a
slightly different list than what I have seen in the past, but I still
wouldn't worry about it. I'd just go ahead and commit it.

 -jean