James Maes - Materialogic Programmer wrote:

I've had to draft several somewhat formal coding standards for different projects / companies and would be more than happy to throw one out there as a starting point.

It covers most things and a few others as well.
Thanks James for volunteering!
I think there are three options here:
1) Match and document the client code format that Jeremy said he used when reformatting after the client contribution:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A+Reformat+client+code--p9229.html
( my vote based on simplicity, laziness, precedent and the fact that most IDE's can easily adapt and often do default to the Sun conventions).

For this you would just need to verify that there are no other variations in client and then wordsmith the text for the website. (I reformatted the client code in Eclipse to the defaults, at first glance I only saw line length diffs. Lines should be limited to 80 characters according to the Sun conventions and is a good change I think)

2) Adopt one of the other Apache project variations which might seem "better" in some way. For example: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/faqs.html#Coding%20Conventions%20and%20Standards
3) Something completely different.  (not so keen on this myself)

I'm sure that when burned, it will create flames at least hot enough to make me run screaming back into lurkersville.
You can keep your feet out of the fire by attaching your proposal to 1363 as an option for consideration by whomever takes on that task. If you like warm feet you can assign yourself to 1363 and post a website patch which will give folks the opportunity to veto.

Kathey