Rick Hillegas wrote:

> 1) Remove the JDBC4-driver-autoloading. This removes a useful
> ease-of-development feature and makes us fail to be JDBC4-compliant.
>
> 2) Don't boot the engine when registering the embedded driver. Instead,
> boot the engine the first time that someone requests an embedded
> Connection. This approach involves a lot of testing.

I think it would be better if option 2 as described in the change in
functional behaviour, not the implementation details (ie. engine
booting). I think what is really proposed is:

  10.1 (existing) - Derby reads system properties when its embedded
driver is loaded.

  10.2 (option 2) - Derby reads system properties when the first
connection request is made to its embedded driver.

Option 2 worries me a little because it can become less precise when the
 key system properties are read. E.g. what about a failed connection
request, does that force the properties to be read?

I think the goal should be to support auto-loading and to ensure
applications that perform some setup and then explicitly load the Derby
embedded driver continue to work.

Dan.

Dan.