Mike Matrigali wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Kathy. I think I'm getting the message that the following
>> would be an acceptable and more traditional schedule:
>>
>> August 10 : Last feature work commits
>> August 11 : First release candidate generated
>> August 24 : Second release candidate generated
>> September 7: Third and hopefully last release candidate generated
>> September 15: Targetted end of voting on release candidates
>>
>> Is this a realistic schedule or is it still too aggressive?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>

> What kind of changes are you going to include in each of the
> release candidates (ie. all checkins to the branch, or some subset
> of those changes -- I think in the past andrew has used either)?
>  The above seems reasonable assuming that
> the only changes are bug fixes addressing regressions shown
> up by testing.  I assume it is reasonable to accept all additional
> tests during the release testing period.
>
> I believe some of the features were already originally planning on
> an august 15 or later date, and have adjusted to an august 10 date.
> Some definitely won't make it with an earlier code freeze.

There's no "code freeze" per se on ASF projects.

The release manager decides what changes should make it into a release.
Good info for the httpd project gets referenced by many:

   http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

> Let's repeat that: an impending release can not affect development of the
> project. It is the RM's responsibility to identify what changes should make
> it into the release. The RM may have an intermediate tag, so the RM can merge
> in or reject changes as they are committed to the repository's HEAD.
>
> Committers may voluntarily refrain from committing patches if they wish to
> ease the burden on the RM, but they are under no obligation to do so. This is
> one reason why we recommend that the RMs have plenty of time on their hands -
> they may have to deal with a rapidly changing target. It's not an easy job.

I just get a little worried when I hear the words "code freeze". I think
a better phrase would be "target date". After that date developers can
continue developing and it's up to the release manager to include that
work (or not).

 -jean