Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
Stan Bradbury (JIRA) wrote:

Example: define the function bigintToHexString to accept a BIGINT parameter
(see below) and reference the corresponding  java method bigintToHexString
(shown below) that accepts a Long.  Add the jarfile with the class to the DB,
setup the database classpath and invoke with the query shown.

  >>> Java Class:
import java.sql.*;

public class derbyJavaUtils
{
// bigintToHexString
    public static String bigintToHexString(Long myBigint)
    {
        return myBigint.toHexString(myBigint.longValue());
    }

As a related question, why would you want this to resolve to Long? Using
the primitive type long in this case will be more efficient, no need to
create a Long object. Your method could be re-written as:

    public static String bigintToHexString(long myBigint)
    {
        return Long.toHexString(myBigint);
    }

Dan.

Hi Dan -
I have no need to resolve to a Long, I expected that it would resolve to a Long because the information on BIGINT in the manuals. It lists java.lang.Long as the compile time type for BIGINT (though I must admit to not understanding what a 'Compile time type' is).

As I understand it now, all Derby numeric datatypes that have a corresponding primitive type will resolve to the primitive type when passed as a parameter to a Derby java function or stored procedure. I will get this information onto the WIKI so it is available for others to reference, review and add to.

Thanks again for the help with this issue.