In almost every feature release I have been involved in, folks start having trouble getting reviews in the final push as everyone scrambles to get their own work done. Add to that the fact that we do a generally horrible job in keeping up with patches especially for independent contributors who are expected to wait months for review; we are headed for trouble. I think we will see a situation where actual completed fixes will be left out of the release because they are ignored. And that is bad for Derby.

I would like to propose that every active developer registered in Jira make efforts to reduce the patch backlog by trying to do something to move along at least 2 patches outside of our personal 10.2 line items each week. See:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchListMaintenance

and in general work to improve patch throughput by  heeding the advice at:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchAdvice

Critical to avoiding fixes being left behind will be getting reviews from outside the committer base and even just folks trying out patches for fix verification if they don't know the code. If a change has been tried out and reviewed before a committer looks at it, it can get in much, much, faster.

Thanks

Kathey