I want to retract my statement about removing support for system properties, major backward compatibility issue, what was I thinking?

I *can* see, however, that system properties become a layer on top of a core JMX implementation, so that internally the only way the system is configured and managed is through the JMX service. But this really shouldn't happen until JMX is "just there" for all VMs that we support, I agree with Dan it would not be good to *require* a separate JMX jar file for Derby to run.

That said, I think the advantages of JMX are significant enough that many people will want to use it, and I think there's value in redistributing MX4J if we think it's up to snuff.

David

David Van Couvering wrote:
My understanding from Sanket's design is it uses the module architecture, so it's pluggable, and that it isn't even started by default, you have to enable it. No new requirements on Derby unless you *want* to use JMX.

I would argue, however, that we should keep open to over time JMX becoming the primary configuration and management framework. Supporting both JMX and system properties may become a bit time-consuming over time. Perhaps, for example, when we EOL JDK 1.4 support, so that JMX is "just there" and doesn't require a separate runtime jar file.

David

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
Sanket Sharma wrote:

Just wanted an opinion about JMX implementation to use for Derby. I
have listed the better known implementations below with my comments:
[snip]
Comments and opinion will be appriciated.

Sounds like a pluggable JMX implementation would be best, rather than
forcing an infrastructure on a derby user.

I hope that the JMX stuff is optional, and I can continue to run Derby
without any JMX booting or requiring any JMX libraries.

Thanks,
Dan.