The harm is that each developer has to sift through a diff for a known bug. If we all did this then we would have a stack of diffs and we'd have to do pattern recognition to know if our change caused a regression or not. That has me concerned... That's why I thought I'd log the bug, since it's not a major issue, and note that a canon file is masking the bug for now.

I think there are a whole class of master file outputs that are there because of bugs. I think I even fixed a bug for 10.1.3 that you reported which had its output encoded in a master file.

David

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
David Van Couvering wrote:

Now that I think of it further, I suspect it is not good practice to
hold a test hostage waiting for this bug to be fixed, and I should
probably add a jdk16-specific master file for procedureInTrigger.sql.

I can point the reader of the bug to this master file as a guide to
reproducing the problem...

Any thoughts?  Otherwise I'll go ahead and do that...

Little nervous. Especially as your comment says "so at least derbyall
can pass". With derbyall "passing" a release could go ahead, having
derbyall failing might hold up a release, but I can't see anyone making
DERBY-1629 blocker or critical. Maybe the fact it is marked as a
regression is enough.

Is there any harm in having this test continue fail due to a real bug?

Dan.