Army wrote:
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

Hi Army,

<snip ..>
If you are just using the version that is part of Sun jdk 1.4.2, then I think there is a bug in that version of Xalan that is causing this error. I think it's related to XALANJ-1643 (type that in your Jira "Quick Search" box) and has been fixed in Xalan version 2.5 and later (based on the comments in that issue).

When I removed my external version of Xalan and just ran with the one that's embedded in Sun 1.4.2, I see this error, too. When I take the steps to override the jdk's version (which is a bit odd; see:

http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#faq-N100D6)

with a newer version (I'm using 2.6), the problem goes away.

Hi Army,

I ran into the same issue when I tried to run lang/xmlBinding.java,
in my first attempt to learn about xml work in derby as part of buddy testing!

I ran the test using jdk142, with xml jars added to my class path. It passed on ibm142.

Error Messages were scary :
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: The resource [ XMLEntities.res ] could
not load: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: XMLEntities.res
> XMLEntities.res java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: XMLEntitie

and later my favorite error :
> ERROR 40XT0: An internal error was identified by RawStore module.

From the above error message, it is almost impossible for some one to identify that the error is because of a xalan bug(XALANJ-1643) included in the jvm jar files.

I think, it might be good idea to mention this tricky issue in the release notes/faq.

Thanks
-suresh