On 8/22/06, Rick Hillegas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey Andrew,

Can you clarify the following? I was under the impression that Release
Notes were compiled under the following process:

1) First the community approves a release candidate.

2) Then the release manager compiles Release Notes and posts them on the
release page hung off the web site.

3) The release page can be improved later on if, say, some howler comes
up in production and we need to advertise this prominently.

Is this how we do it?

This is how it has been done in the past.

Is there also a preliminary version of the Release
Notes bundled with the release candidate itself?

For the first couple of releases, I tracked individual JIRA items in
the CHANGES file. That became burdensome as the number of changes and
JIRA items fixed became very much larger with the 10.1 releases. Since
the necessary information is tracked in JIRA, I went with including a
brief blurb in CHANGES with a pointer to JIRA's release notes.
Although now that I think about it, a link back to the release page
would have been better, since it captures all the JIRA information as
well as the release notes written by members of the community, test
results, etc.

andrew