The javadoc SQLSyntaxErrorException for says:

The subclass of SQLException thrown when the SQLState class value is
'42'. This indicates that the in-progress query has violated SQL syntax
rules.

This somewhat in-conflict with the SQL Standard.

Can a JDBC driver thrown an exception with SQLState '42' and the
exception not be a SQLSyntaxErrorException?

Well we put this part of the spec to bed early 2005 so my memory is groggy, but it looks to me that our intent was whenever a SQLState class value of 42 occurs, th SQLSyntaxErrorException was thrown which would cover

syntax error or access rule violation

I am just sanity checking this now with my EG and will update the paper spec accordingly and have to wait for the first patch of SE 6 to tweak the javadocs

-lance