Last week at ApacheCon, I attended most of Cliff Schmidt's sessions on intellectual property issues. Cliff is the ASF's vice president for legal affairs. Cliff clarified that ICLAs are only needed for committers. Similarly, a company's CLA only needs to cover its committers. According to Cliff, we don't need ICLA/CLA coverage for contributors who aren't committers.

It seems to me that Derby's policy is stricter than this. As I recall, we require ICLA/CLA coverage for all contributors, regardless of whether they are committers. Why is Derby's policy stricter than general ASF policy?