Andrew McIntyre wrote:

I also find it a bit strange that "SHOW VIEWS" uses the heading
"TABLE_NAME" and not "VIEW_NAME".

These are the names of the columns returned from the ResultSet
retrieved from DatabaseMetadata.getTables(), and I believe those
column names are mandated by the JDBC spec. And, ij displays them
faithfully. :-)

We could override the column names in a similar way that we set the
column widths but I don't think that is really worthwhile. Probably
better to just document that little idiosyncrasy.

I have seen many database that show tables and views together in the 'show tables' / 'list tables' command. So maybe
we can do something similar and make the ij o/p to show something like:

create table atab (i int, j int, k int);
create view v_atab as select i,j from atab;

TABLE_SCHEM         |TABLE_NAME                    |TYPE (?)
APP                 |ATAB                          |Table
APP                 |V_ATAB                     |View

My 0.02

-Rajesh