Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
Hi,

There was a discussion ensuing from DERBY-2896, which I think should
be a general discussion item, following mamta's check-in for a fix for
that critical issue.

Knut Anders Wrote:
>The changes in metadata.properties will not be picked up when you upgrade from 10.3.1.x to 10.3.2.x.

Kathey replied:
This filed as DERBY-1107 and I think is a good reason to have a new release candidate. I think other critical issues such as DERBY-2437 and the regression DERBY-2892 might be worth waiting for too if they can be fixed in short order. I wouldn't veto a release at this point but would probably vote -0.

It seems to me that even though Kathey doesn't want to hold up the
release, she really doesn't want a release without this fix.
Which to me sounds like a new release candidate, which, as we've got a
vote outstanding, means holding up the release. :-)

But Kathey's email poses some options
1. I can do a fairly quick turn-around and make another release
candidate after Mamta backports the fix to 10.3. If I can build the
files tonight or tomorrow morning early, I can test, and call a vote
around noon, that would give us until July 26th noon (PDT) and I could
maybe still close the vote and hope that the maven work and web page
work can be finished on that day, or leave it to Rick to do that part
once he's back the week after.

2. We can wait until someone fixes DERBY-2892 for 10.3. I have not
heard anything positive, nor a time frame for such a fix. If a fix
happens before the 26th, I can generate new build files and open the
voting, but someone else (Rick when he's back form
vacation/conference?) will have to finish up the work for this
release.

3. We can wait even further until other critical issues such as
DERBY-2437 are fixed. I want to point out, that no has volunteered to
own that one at this point, so we might be waiting indefinitely. I
can, as I have suggested before, pick up the release work in
September, and we can see how far the fixes are then. Or someone else
can volunteer.

Kathey, please be explicit, which 'other' issues except DERBY-2437 do
you think are necessary to receive a fix?

Well, since DERBY-2905 is a regression, I would love to see that one fixed, but I wouldn't call it necessary.

I would like to see the analysis of DERBY-2656 complete. I can finish that by Monday.

Ramin is I think close to a patch for DERBY-2925 which would fix DERBY-2437, but I am not sure how strongly Dag feels about that being the wrong solution. It has the advantage of being a solution.

DERBY-1107 is I think not an easy bug to fix, so I think we should have a release candidate for DERBY-2896 to avoid having to fix it. That is the primary issue.

So my vote would be to plan to make a new release candidate on Monday and hopefully we will be able to make a dent in some of these issues. People can continue banging away on 10.3 and see if we can pop more issues. Perhaps we'll even get more bugs fixed.
Kathey