Perhaps this is an indication that we need to revisit the layout of the manuals to make them easier to use and put this as a high priority for things to address going forward. If the documentation is difficult to navigate, this can be a turnoff to users.

Regards
lance

John Embretsen wrote:
I know navigating the Derby manuals and finding what you are looking for can be
a gruesome experience for both users and developers.

Various tricks can be used to make this easier, e.g. searching all manuals
combined into one PDF (such as those found here:
http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/DerbyDocs/index.html ), or using advanced
Google searches.

Inspired by David's blog post (and comments) at
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/davidvc/archive/2007/06/searching_the_d.html
I created my own custom (google) search engine for searching the Derby docs and
public API. It's available for everyone to use, the URL is

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=013165901514945153857%3A6lvlcohwpjo

(unfortunately not so easy to remember).

I've made some refinements for searching a particular Derby version, or a
particular manual in the doc trunk. There is currently a max limit of 16
refinements.

It's possible to volunteer to contribute to this search engine for those who feel inspired, but maybe it would be better to somehow create something similar
that is "owned" by apache, and include it on our web page?

Anyway, I hope this is useful to someone.