Hi Udai, thanks for investigating this issue.

I was Building the Derby on windows machine for which referred BUILDING.txt from my ${derby.source}. there was an example in section 3.2 (Creating ant.properties) showing how to set j14lib which was like....

                        j14lib=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_10\jre\lib (for windows machine)

but if you do so....you will get error.....

and if you do    *  j14lib=C:\\j2sdk1.4.2_10\\jre\\lib* (Double slash)
you won't get this error......I figured that out in minutes but may be this could consume time of some newbie like me

That's correct, you may either use the other slash direction
(j14lib=c:/j2sdk1.4.2_10/jre/lib) or the doubled slash as you indicate.

This seems like it could be improved; perhaps you could file a JIRA
request for improvement and attach a patch which makes the instructions
more clear?

thanks,

bryan