Hi,

The PropertySetter, whose responsibility it is to configure the compile classpath(s) if the user hasn't, now has two algorithms to detect JDK installations:
 (1) JAR inspection (newer)
 (2) directory name filter (old)

Currently (1) is run first, followed by (2).
Lately, I have stumbled across a few environments where (2) causes the Derby build to fail. The typical pattern is that (1) detects a valid Java SE 6 installation, and then (2) picks up an invalid installation of Java SE 5.0 or J2SE 1.4.

Would it make sense to run (2) only if (1) can't find the required JDK(s)?

In my opinion, 'ant all buildjars' should just work (to build everything you still have to add JUnit). Regular Derby developers with special build requirements can configure the build process manually (they are probably doing this already).

What do people think?

As a side note, as people start building Derby with other JDKs, like Harmony, OpenJDK or the FSF-one, I do expect some issues.
Also, I think Derby simply doesn't build with all of these...

Regards,
--
Kristian