On 03.08.2010 19:28, Mike Matrigali wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the feedback. See my comments below, especially the one regarding flushLogOnCommit.

Kristian Waagan wrote:
Hi,

When working on an experiment for automatic index statistics (re)generation, I was exposed to the Derby transaction API. Dan filed an issue [1] suggesting to clean up this API, and I can give my +1 to that :) In places the comments and actual usage aren't in sync, and missing functionality of the lcc (LanguageConnectionContext) can be obtained by working directly on the tc (TransactionController). One such example is nested read-write user transactions, which doesn't seem to be supported through the lcc (although the lcc API suggests so), but is used in some places by working with the tc.

I tried to use a nested read-write user transaction to write index statistics to the data dictionary, and was surprised to find that the changes were lost even though I committed the transaction (they survive if I do a proper shutdown). Turns out Derby uses the concept of transaction contexts, and the following are defined in XactFactory:
    USER_CONTEXT_ID
    NESTED_READONLY_USER_CONTEXT_ID
    NESTED_UPDATE_USER_CONTEXT_ID
    INTERNAL_CONTEXT_ID
    NTT_CONTEXT_ID

Now, the XactFactory also has this method:
    /**
Decide if a transaction of this contextId needs to flush the log when
        it commits
    */
    public boolean flushLogOnCommit(String contextName)
    {
        //
        // if this is a user transaction, flush the log
        // if this is an internal or nested top transaction, do not
        // flush, let it age out.
        //
        return (contextName == USER_CONTEXT_ID ||
                contextName.equals(USER_CONTEXT_ID));
    }

Most of this code is rather old, so I haven't found much history. My questions: 1) Is using a nested read-write user transaction simply wrong in this case? (nested because I want to release the locks on the data dictionary as soon as possible) There is the problem with locks not
being compatible - see below.  I think this is what mamta kept running
into in what she tried.  usually it is likely not to be a problem but
if user happens to have accumulated some system catalog locks then
there are issues (and this case I think comes up in a bunch of our
tests).  I also see an issue with some user with a big table complaining
when his simple query takes a long time waiting on the stats during
compile.

Although the current prototype code is very crude, here's a brief description: o work is queued by a thread compiling a statement. After queuing the thread continues its normal work; compiling the statement and potentially executing it. o generating the statistics is done by a separate thread created on-demand (in it's own transaction);
    - if there is no thread, one is created
- if there is more work when the thread finishes the current unit of work, it will continue with the next item in the queue
    - if there is no more work, the thread dies
o work is scheduled based on tables; all indexes are regenerated, not individual ones o writing the stats to the system tables is done by a user thread compiling a statement

In the current prototype, there has to be a mechanism for a user thread to detect that there are new statistics to be written. One issue right now, is that this happens at a time where the statement is already optimized (thus loosing out on the new statistics). I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, the new stats will be picked up the next time the statement is compiled.

Ultimately the solution I think would work best is some generic way
to queue background work from the language layer, similar to what can
be done from the storage layer to the daemon thread.  This would avoid
making a query wait while a full scan of the entire table is done
to rebuild statistics.  A separate thread avoids a lot of the deadlock
issues of a nested user thread.

Yes, this is what I have tried to do, although the "background daemon" is very specific.

The issues to solve would be:
o how to make sure only correct permissions are enforced on the background work. I think it would be best at least in first implementation if it was only possible for internal systems to queue
to this background runner.

Ignored for now, the worker can only generate statistics and the work is queued from within GenericStatement.

o should the work survive a shutdown?  It would be simple enough to
  track the work in a table, but is it worth it.

Do you mean the work queue?
If so, I feel that it isn't necessary, as work is queued as determined by the logic "detecting" stale/missing stats (lots of work to do here I think). Maybe saving intermediate results can be useful for huge tables, but then we have to handle the issue of stale intermediate results too...

o I don't think we should add another thread always to handle this
  background work as we already get complaints about the existing
  1 thread per db.  Best would be some system that could add the
and delete the thread as needed - maybe even add more than one thread if it could determine it was appropriate on the hardware - or maybe based on some configuration param.

This is what is done in the prototype, but I haven't looked into configuration. One concern is that index regeneration will poison the page cache, but avoiding this is probably a big thing. I think we may also have to tune how much resources (CPU, IO) are used for this background activity.

 2) Is the method flushLogOnCommit doing the right thing?
I believe flushLogOnCommit is doing the right thing for the current usage of nested user transactions. The issue is one of performance. In
the current usage these transactions are only used for internal things
where it is ok for either the transaction work to be backed out or committed, even if the internal transaction commits. All the work based on the internal transaction is logged after the internal transaction. So if this transaction is lost then it must be that all
subsequent work is also lost.

Well, the updates to the data dictionary are lost even though I have committed the parent transaction. They survive a shutdown if I do a proper shutdown. I cannot explain this, maybe I have a severe bug in the prototype (I did pretty much copy the code from InsertResultSet though).

What it is doing is avoiding a synchonous write on the log for each internal transaction. This not only benefits by avoiding the write, but
it is likely that it will increase the "group" of log records that will
be served by the subsequent real user transaction commit.  I believe the
usual usage for this read/write transaction is the update of the "block"
of numbers used for generated keys.  So the expectation is that usually
the parent user transaction will commit soon.

Okay, so the nested transaction implementation is pretty much tailed to fit work related to identity columns?
I guess all contexts except USER_CONTEXT_ID are considered internal.

The prototype uses a nested transaction slightly different - it would be best if the work done by the nested transaction would be synced. No real harm is done by loosing the updates though, Derby just have to do the work again (may affect performance).

I haven't checked yet, but it is also important to know if the update locks of the nested user transaction is incompatible with the parent user transaction (to avoid deadlock when using NO_WAIT).
The locks are not compatible.  See following documentation in
TransactionController.java!getNestedUserTransaction()

   * <p>
* The locks in the child transaction of a readOnly nested user transaction
   * will be compatible with the locks of the parent transaction.  The
* locks in the child transaction of a non-readOnly nested user transaction * will NOT be compatible with those of the parent transaction - this is
   * necessary for correct recovery behavior.
   * <p>

Thanks.

--
Kristian

And thanks to Mamta for the writeup regarding the index stats issue :)
At the moment I'm trying to implement a prototype for a first step of a hybrid solution, where the statistics generation is done in a separate thread. The generation is initialized from the user thread when compiling a statement, and writing new stats back is also done in a user thread. There are several issues to resolve, but I'll see how far I get before abandoning the approach (will attach code/comments to the appropriate JIRA later).