Rajesh, do you not need to close your statement and
result set objects in a try-finally block? rs.close
and s1.close() would be needed, no? But you should NOT
close the connection, right?

Regards,
Ali

public static long returnBigInt() throws Exception
>     {
>     Connection conn =

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:default:connection");

>         Statement s1 = conn.createStatement();
>         ResultSet rs=s1.executeQuery("select
max(col1) from