Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:

So, for each page I execute 50 queries (open connection -> query by pk -> Navigate resultSet -> close connection).

If you aren't doing so already, you can optimize Tomcat by loading the Derby embedded driver at Tomcat startup and shutting Derby down when Tomcat shuts down. The embedded tutorial shows an easy way to do this:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/fortune_tut.html

Also check some of the Tomcat mail list threads on the integration page:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/integrate/misc.html

I think some of these threads might be kind of old. If you spot anything especially useful, would you post to this list?

thanks,

 -jean