James Pannozzi wrote:

> I started using Derby, so far very very impressive,
> I never used all Java database before.
>
> Here is a question on import CSV file.
>
> I try to import 90,000 line CSV file (see Subject,
> this message) and get some exception, for example if
>
> too many commas in a line, I naturally get Java array
> bounds violation exception.

Hmmmm, that's a bad error for the situation you describe. I would expect
a SQLException indicating badly formed input or something. Could you log
a bug in Jira, with an example?

> BUT-- How do I know on
> which line of the CSV file the error is happening??

That would be a useful improvement to Derby, could you log a improvement
entry in Jira? If you want to get involved in Derby this might be an
easy one to start with, since Java does provide streams/readers that
produce line numbers. Therefore it could be as simple as changing the
stream/reader used by the import code, getting the line number on an
error and adding it to the error message.

Jira details at:

http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html

Thanks,
Dan.