From: Michael Segel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Sent: 03 March 2006 17:59
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: No current connection

On Friday 03 March 2006 9:41 am, Rhys Campbell wrote:
> Initially I was doing it the start of each class and reusing the same
> connection variable. But Derby seemed to auto-close the connection
after
> each statement.

Uhmm. No. Derby shouldn't be doing an auto-close after each connection.
I think the reason that you see that, is because you're not managing
your
scope correctly.

Try this...

In your main java class, instantiate a reference to a Connection object
and
set it to null, as a class level variable.
Then in your initialization method, open a Derby connection using your
Connection object.

For each of your "business" classes, create an object reference of a
Connection class.
Then in each "business" object that you instantiate, pass in a reference
your connection object and assign it to the connection object that you
just
created.

As I'm writing this, I realize that the description may be a tad
confusing.
Lets see if I can give you a better example....
NOTE: This is just an example, to show an idea. please ignore the syntax
as I
am writing this free hand from memory....

You have a Main.java class:
import blah blah blah
public class Main {

    Connection con = null;

   public Main(){
      // Instantiation code
   }

    public static void main(){
        initDBConnection();  // method of this class....
        YourClassFoo foo = new YourClassFoo(blah, blah, con);
        YourClassBar bar = new YourClassBar(blah, con, blah, blah, and,
blah);
    }

   private void Connection initDBConnection(){
        // Build your URL and open a derby connection;
        con = DriverManager.getConnection("URL");
  }
} // End of Main class

Now here's your YourClassFoo.java
public class YourClassFoo {
    Connection con = null;
    // Instantiate references to other class variables....

    public YourClassFoo(blah, blah, Connection con_in){
        con = con_in;
    }

    // now the rest of your class code...
}

In this example,  a reference to a Connection object con, is created at
the
time that the Main object is instantiated.  It then gets assigned a
reference
to an instantiation of a Connection object when your main() method calls

initDBConnection() in your Main class.

Then when you instantiate your object foo of YourClassFoo, you pass in a

reference to an object of type Connection, which gets assigned to the
reference to its own internal Connection object.

So the actual Connection object is instantiated when you call
DriverManager.getConnection() and then your classes maintain a reference
this object. As long as you have a reference to the instantiated object,
it
will not be sent off to the Garbage Collector.

Does this make sense?

I realize that this is a really basic example with a couple of gaps in
it, but
it should give you a good idea about scope.

Now a caveat... In a real life production example, you'd want to create
public method setDBConnection(Connection con_in)  so that if you lost
your
connection, or had to recreate or re-establish the connection, you could
then
reset it within your "business" objects without having to reinstantiate
whole new business object.

HTH,
-Mikey

PS. Anyone can write crap that works. Its only the true
artisan/craftman, who
will take the time to polish their skills and write code that is
functional,
efficent, and easy to maintain.

> I was burning the midnight oil on it last night. I realize it's not
the
> most efficient way of doing things, but wouldn't this eliminate
problems
> of scope?
>
> I'll be looking at it with a fresher head tonight!
>
> Rhys

classes.
> > They all have access to a little class called DBTools which I wrote
> > simplify DB access.
> >
> > I have a play with your ideas this evening and maybe post my code.
> > Thanks for your thoughts.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rhys

This