I don't believe this solves the original question.

The issue isn't with the meta data, but the lack of a built in function to
allow for different groupings.

I think that this might solve the problem....

Select a,b,c... YEAR(x)foo, MONTH(x) bar, DAY(x) retz
Then do a GROUP BY foo or bar or retz.

This should work... in theory at least, assuming that there is a YEAR(),
MONTH() and DAY() functions available. (If not, you can always write them...
;-)

-Mike