It would be good to see the query.... There are couple of existing bugs that may match the description I have seen so far. There are two major known issues with subquery optimization (views get expanded as select subqueries) and some work is being done to address these.

Satheesh

Prasenjit Sarkar wrote:
Looks like the problem is worse in the snapshot version - 6.5 minutes in
Derby vs 2 s in DB2. I'll post a defect in Jira -- I'll probably attach the
database and the query in question...

Prasenjit Sarkar
Research Staff Member
Master Inventor
Storage Systems
IBM Almaden Research

             Rajesh Kartha
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       Derby Discussion
             04/10/2006 06:41          <derby-user@db.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Derby Performance Problem
                  "Derby
                Discussion"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ache.org>

Hi,

I am wondering if it is related to the issue -

If you have an older version (than 10.1.2.3), is it possible to re-run
you scenario
using  the newer snapshot jars posted at:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#Snapshot+Jars

Please do post your findings.

Regards,
Rajesh

Prasenjit Sarkar wrote:

Hi,

We are porting a commercial application from DB2 to Derby and have run

into

a performance issue. Our application has a very complex data model and

uses

four levels of views for some reports. We are facing a performance problem
in joining views at the second level.

To illustrate an example, VIEW_L2_1 and VIEW_L2_2 are two views at the
second level. Both VIEW_L2_1 and VIEW_L2_2 compute very fast (<1s). For

the

experiment in question, the cardinality of VIEW_L2_1 and VIEW_L2_2 is only
300 and 10 respectively - each row in VIEW_L2_1 and VIEW_L2_2 has less

than

128 bytes of data. So, we are not talking large datasets here. Both views
are dependent on some common views at the first level.

The issue is this: a join of VIEW_L2_1 and VIEW_L2_2 on a simple equality
condition (on a column each from one view) takes 2-3 minutes on Derby,
while the equivalent query in DB2 computes very fast (<1s). It looks like
that the Derby query engine is CPU-bound for the most part during the

time.

The statistics obtained do not shed much light on this issue.

I'm fairly new to Derby and would like some direction on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Prasenjit Sarkar
Research Staff Member
Master Inventor