[mjs]
That would not be a good idea, and I suggest that you have IP attorneys from
IBM make a final recommendation on this. (No need for Apache to spend money
if IBM has the resources and its in IBM's best interest to do something.)

Here's why:

Indemnification. Each contributor of Derby agrees to indemnify Apache in the
case of a lawsuit due to copyright infringement.

In simple terms, this means, if you contribute code, and then someone claims
that said code violates either their copyright, patent or was stolen, then
you and your company is on the hook for the cost of any legal challenge.

By leaving the copyright notice intact, you're preserving the forensic
information, thus making it easier to 1) determine the source of the alleged
code, and 2) determine who's going to be ultimately responsible to defend
the code...

If you think this is hogwash, then ask yourself how much has IBM spent
defending itself in the SCO suit.  Regardless of merit, only Sun and IBM
have deep enough pockets to pay for a defense.

But hey! What do I know? Its not like I had to spend time with IBM legal on
contracts over my tenure at IBM. ;-)

-G