Uhm no,

Derby/Cloudscape/JavaDB (you can pick and choose your name)... is a
relational database written in Java.

With respect to column data types, you should refer to the manual... These
are also the database types supported by the JDBC class(es).

Just like any other JDBC compliant database, you have to use your RDBMS data
types and bind them to your java objects.

Sorry, Derby is an RDBMS not a persistence data store of a java object.

HTH

-Mikey