Sorry for top post, using my crack berry.

Not a good idea to use multiple files.
Why not go all the way and make derby in to an mpp db? All you would have to do
is to preprocess the inbound query then send it off to all of the nodes, taking
the result set(s) in to a local temp file and then post process and return the
results...  :-)

Actually a better idea would be a rewrite of how derby stores data.

Introduce chunks, table spaces, index spaces, blob spaces...  And all that
which
Goes with it.

But then, you've increased your foot print and a large portion of your audience.

You could then decide to rewrite the core derby structure to handle either
situation, but now you have "storm cloud"

The short simple answer is to choose a different database that is better suited
to your task.

Try ibm's ids 10.

But hey what do I know? I'm back to working with a client using oracle 9
spatial...
Sent via BlackBerry.

-Mike Segel
Principal