I'm getting the following fun stack trace (in attached derby.log) when
using embedded network server derby 10.2.1.6 and was would like to know
if anyone knows what might cause this to error.
I am using IBM JDK 1.4.2 with the Websphere 6.0.2.5 as the application
server on Windows XP with service pack 2. Error comes when I run my
applications unit test cases.

I am getting following client side errors from my junit test cases as

Error when executing
query:com.ibm.websphere.ce.cm.StaleConnectionException: Meta-data for
Container [EMAIL PROTECTED]
could not be accessed
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Error when executing
query:com.ibm.websphere.ce.cm.StaleConnectionException: Meta-data for
Container [EMAIL PROTECTED]
could not be accessed

Other than that I am seeing some of the errors from websphere server.log
as
[11/15/06 11:04:47:738 IST] 0000002c SystemErr     R
java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database
'E:\Cloud_Branch\TestDB', see the next exception for details.DSRA0010E:
SQL State = XJ040, Error Code = 40,000DSRA0010E: SQL State = XJ040,
Error Code = 40,000
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor243.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
    at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingCons
tructorAccessorImpl.java(Compiled Code))
    at
java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java(Compiled
Code))
    at
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.GenericDataStoreHelper.mapExceptionHelper(Ge
nericDataStoreHelper.java:501)
    at
com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.GenericDataStoreHelper.mapException(GenericD
ataStoreHelper.java:544)
    at
com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.spi.WSRdbDataSource.getPooledConnection(WSRdbDataSo
urce.java:1037)
    at
com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.spi.WSManagedConnectionFactoryImpl.createManagedCon
nection(WSManagedConnectionFactoryImpl.java:957)
    at
com.ibm.ejs.j2c.poolmanager.FreePool.createManagedConnectionWithMCWrappe
r(FreePool.java:1551)
    at
com.ibm.ejs.j2c.poolmanager.FreePool.createOrWaitForConnection(FreePool.
java:1343)
    at
com.ibm.ejs.j2c.poolmanager.PoolManager.reserve(PoolManager.java(Compile
d Code))
    at
com.ibm.ejs.j2c.ConnectionManager.allocateMCWrapper(ConnectionManager.ja
va(Compiled Code))
    at
com.ibm.ejs.j2c.ConnectionManager.allocateConnection(ConnectionManager.j
ava(Compiled Code))
    at
com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.jdbc.WSJdbcDataSource.getConnection(WSJdbcDataSourc
e.java(Compiled Code))
    at
com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.jdbc.WSJdbcDataSource.getConnection(WSJdbcDataSourc
e.java(Compiled Code))

Also when creating the data source in websphere I have used following
classes as well

                    Implementing class name
"org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedConnectionPoolDataSource"
                    Implementing class name for XA
"org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedXADataSource"
                    Datasource Helper Class Name
"com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.DerbyDataStoreHelper"
                    Driver Class Path
"c:\jars\derby-10.2.1.6.jar;c:\jars\derbynet-10.2.1.6.jar;c:\jars\derbyt
ools-10.2.1.6.jar"

Unfortunately I could not reproduce this error from any sample
application other than my application
Websphere defines StaleConnectionException as

When an application receives a StaleConnectionException on a database
operation, it indicates that the connection currently held is no longer
valid. While it is possible to get a StaleConnectionException on any
database operation, the most common time to see a
StaleConnectionException thrown is the first time that a connection is
used, just after it is retrieved. Because connections are pooled, a
database failure is not detected until the operation immediately
following its retrieval from the pool, which is the first time
communication to the database is attempted. It is only when a failure is
detected that the connection is marked stale. StaleConnectionException
occurs less often if each method that accesses the database gets a new
connection from the pool.

(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v5r1//index.jsp?topic=
/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/rdat_stalconexp.html)

But I could not find out why this kind of situation occurred.

Also shutdown all the java processors in the machine I can connect to
the derby database using ij

I would like to know if anyone knows what might cause this to error

Regards,
Suraj