Hi,

> Hi,
>
> I ran into the same problem (not in the context Hibernate): I tried to
> define a unique index on a nullable column which does not work with
> derby. Here is what the derby doc says in the CONSTRAINTS section:
> UNIQUE  Specifies that values in the column must be unique. NULL values
> are not allowed. (see
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefsqlj13590.html.
>
> Is there any specific reason for not supporting unique for a nullable
> column? I find it useful to be able to specify a column may or may not
> have a value, but if the value is set it must be unique.

This is an open source project, so I guess the correct answer is "no
one has done it, yet". Seriously: The current index mechanism is not
able to handle null values, so to implement it is not a trivial
undertaking. Anyway, I first step would be to craete a Jira issue for
this (I believe that has not yet been done). That would at least make
the wish for the feature more visible.

Bernt

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway