Strange ... So, on a fresh Java project that you did not add the Derby
nature to yet, your context menu shows 'Remove Derby Nature'?  This menu
option should be controlled by the nature in the .project file.  The
.project file in the root of your newly created project should not have the
derby nature.  It should look like:
   <natures>
       <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
   </natures>

Then, after adding the derby nature with the menu action, you should have
the following:
   <natures>
       <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
       <nature>org.apache.derby.ui.derbyEngine</nature>
   </natures>

Can you confirm that this is the case?