Thanks Kim, this really helps. I will clarify the text so that it
doesn't confuse anyone else !

Laura

On 5/11/07, Kim Haase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Laura Stewart wrote:
> In several of the Activities in Working With Derby, the instructions
> have the user type the following command to run ij
>
>    java -jar %DERBY_HOME%\lib\derbyrun.jar ij
>
> If the user has set up the DERBY_HOME environment variable, why can't
> they just type "ij" to start the tool?

After setting DERBY_HOME they then have to put %DERBY_HOME%\bin (or
$DERBY_HOME/bin for UNIX) in their PATH, as described in
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/getstart/tgsrunningij.html. But if
they would rather not bother modifying their PATH, and they already have
the java command in their PATH (as developers commonly do), they can
just run that command line.

> The instructions in the Getting Started Guide are a little confusing...

Maybe we were assuming too much ...

> Please see the section "Ways to run the tools" in this file:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/getstart/cgsusingtoolsutils.html
>
> In the second bullet, it indicates that the user should use the java
> command when
>
> "... you already have a Java executable in your path and you do not
> want to change your path in order to run the tools"
>
> What is not clear to me is:
> 1) Does this mean that the user does not set the DERBY_HOME
> environment variable ???

No, you always set DERBY_HOME. The command examples use this variable.
(Although you *could* just specify the full path of your Derby
installation instead, if you really enjoyed typing.)

> OR
> 2) Does this mean that the user does not set the JAVA_HOME
> environment variable ???

No -- if you have a Java executable in your path, that generally means
that you have set JAVA_HOME and added %JAVA_HOME%\bin (or
$JAVA_HOME/bin) to your PATH. Maybe this was too much shorthand.

> OR
> 3) Does this mean that the user does not set the PATH to DERBY_HOME/bin ???

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Or what it was intended to mean!

Kim

--
Laura Stewart