I think that the basic issue here involves result set caching,

Actually now I'm doubting myself, because DERBY-822 was a
*client* change, and this test program is for the *embedded* driver.

So the DERBY-822 comment is irrelevant, sorry about that.

Still, I think that the basic idea is the same: you are executing
the query and getting the result set *before* you have issued
the INSERT statement that populates the row, and it must be the
case that, depending on whether or not there is an ORDER BY clause,
the driver either computes the results of the query at the time
that you do statement.execute() and statement.getResultSet(), or
it computes the results of the query at the time that you do
results.last().

thanks,

bryan