Andy Rozman wrote:
It seems that type text (which should be unlimited varchar) is interpreted as CLOB(255). I don't know where this happens but my application now fails... Is this Derby problem or Hibernate? I am using latest of Derby (10.3.2.1) and Hibernate 3.1.

Hi Andy,

Hibernate seems to map its 'text' type to a database clob, not a database varchar. This is Hibernates doing, not Derbys. See attached link to Hibernate "cheat sheet"[1].

You might be better off with using Hibernates 'string' type which maps to a database varchar type?

I'm not sure exactly why it fails using 'text' and a clob with derby, but I do know there are a few clob related fixes in the upcoming 10.4 release.

The release candidate of Derby 10.4 is now available[2], and the official release should be just around the corner. Maybe you could give the RC a quick spin to see if the problem is solved?

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] http://ndpsoftware.com/HibernateMappingCheatSheet.html
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourRelease --> ReleaseCandidates