Thanks for pushing this forward, Will. I have added another suggestion to DERBY-3676, an approach which could leverage what you've built already. Let's see if the community can improve this or surface more problems. Would the suggested approach satisfy your needs?

Regards,
-Rick

wbecker wrote:
I wrote a fix for this, but seeing the comments at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3676 I am not sure its a good
idea.

Rick Hillegas-2 wrote:
Hi Will,

Thanks for bringing this up. I have logged DERBY-3676 to track this request. At first blush this looks like a straightforward project for a newcomer. If you want to implement this yourself, I would be happy to coach you through the code.

Regards,
-Rick

wbecker wrote:
Is there a way to get a PreparedStatement to tell you what it is going to
give as a query to the db?

In mysql, a toString() on a PreparedStatement will do this, eg "select x
from foo where x.a = ?" will become "select x from foo where x.a = 1"
with
the appropriate setValue() call. Is there a way to get a similar result
with
Derby? All I seem to get is a string of gibberish, eg:
:54b48415-0119-ec3b-91d2-000001bca0c8"

Cheers,
Will