Quoting SocketPermission API:
"The "resolve" action is implied when any of the other actions are present. The action "resolve" refers to host/ip name service lookups."

Based on that I didn't include resolve. And as it wasn't necessary in my case to perform a lookup, I didn't get a security exception. The question that comes to my mind now is what address will derby try to reach in order to perform said lookup. Most likely the dns server ips declared in the host derby runs. So, such addresses should be included in the server.policy file as well.

Anyway, granting "connect, resolve" is a more complete solution.

Cheers,
Andreas

Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
I agree with Rick that this should get documented.
Perhaps, Andreas, you could log this issue as a documentation
improvement in JIRA?
Also, I wondered - in some recent testing I found that 'connect'
permission was not sufficient, I needed "connect, resolve" to the
ldapServer. Has that been your experience too?

Regards,
Myrna