Alan Burlison wrote:

I've hit another snag though - I want the index to be unique and I was going to keep the case-converted column up-to-date using 'after' triggers. However you can't use after triggers to populate a column which has a unique index. If you use a multi-row insert, the triggers don't fire until after *all* the rows have been inserted, which results in multiple nulls in the case-converted columns, which in turn cause an error because an unique index can't contain multiple nulls.

Derby 10.4 allows multiple nulls for unique columns.

Bah.  Looks like I'm going to have to switch to MySQL after all. :-(

--
Øystein Grøvlen, Senior Staff Engineer
Sun Microsystems, Database Group