How do I tell if the database needs to be upgraded? Or is there no impact if I specify "upgrade" but one is not necessary?

Brian

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at  8:43 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

Brian Peterson wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to determine what connection parameters for an embedded database I should use when there might not be a database in place (so "create=true"), or there might be an older version already in place (so "upgrade=true"), or there might already be a database of the right version
in place (so "create" or add nothing to the URL).

I read that "upgrade" and "create" cannot both be specified in the
connection URL. If I'm putting out a release of my application that uses the latest version of Derby (10.4) while a previous version used 10.2.2, what are the recommended steps for making the connection to the Derby database if one is already present? (Note that I have to handle this programmatically as
part of the application startup.)

Do I first try a URL with "create" and see if there's an error, and if so, follow up with a call with "upgrade"? Or do I have the procedure always use
"upgrade" and follow up with a URL with "create" if it fail to make a

Hi Brian,

Your first approach sounds good to me:

1) Bring up the database, specifying "create=true"

2) If you get the warning that the database already exists, then bring down the database and reboot it in upgrade mode

Regards,
-Rick
connection?

Brian