Hi Tim,

This question has come up before. For instance, you may find some interesting discussion on the following email thread: http://www.nabble.com/simpler-api-to-the-Derby-store-td18137499.html#a18137499

The Derby storage layer is supposed to be an independent component. The api is described in the javadoc for the org.apache.derby.iapi.store.access package: http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/engine/

What would you say are your chief needs? Are you looking for a version of Derby which is

1) smaller
2) faster

 or

3) easier-to-use

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Tim Dugan wrote:
I'm looking to see if Derby can be used similarly to Berkeley DB -- a lower-level API. Can anyone tell me?

Maybe to the access area of the "Store Layer" which in some Derby documentation is described like this:

    "The Store layer is split into two main areas, access and raw. The
    access layer presents a conglomerate (table or index)/row based
    interface to the SQL layer. It handles table scans, index scans,
    index lookups, indexing, sorting, locking policies, transactions,
    isolation levels."

Now that Derby is included in Java 16--I am having a really hard time finding Java documentation that talks about Derby.