I have created issue DERBY-4337 to track this.

To summarize briefly what I have found (this info is also in the bug).

1. The problem does not occur with the EmbeddedXADataSource
2. The problem exists in 10.4.2.0, not just 10.5.1.1.  But because I skipped
the 10.4.2.0 release it was not noticed earlier.
3. The problem exists in 10.5.2.0.

Further updates will be to made to the issue in JIRA, rather than
here.  I would appreciate all interested parties following the bug
there.

Thanks,
Brett