using prepared statements executed in batches, and this gives me
between 10 and 20 row inserts per millisecond on average.  I have

Wow! You're already going very fast, and you've already put a lot
of good effort into this, so I congratulate you on how far you've
gone already.

A couple of thoughts occurred to me as I read your post:

 - have you tried using in-memory databases rather than test duration?
 - have you experimented with using a larger page size to minimize
   per-page overhead?
 - have you experimented with giving a larger-than-default page cache?

Also, have you done any system-level analysis of your application
during the insert:
 - is your system CPU-bound? is there any disk io occurring at all?
 - how much garbage are you generating, what is the GC profile like?
 - what rev of the JDK are you running, and on what operating system?
 - is your system multi-core? Can you throw threads/cores at this problem?
 - can you get any sort of profiling data about where the hotspots
   are during your run?

Good luck with your performance work, it sounds extremely interesting!

thanks,

bryan