This looks like a Hibernate error, not a Derby error.  I've been using
Hibernate 3 with Derby for a few years and never had any issues.  Is this
query generated by Hibernate?  It seems like you are using HQL (the error is
in org.hibernate.hql.ast.QuerySyntax) , but you are feeding it SQL syntax.
 HQL syntax is similar but not equal to SQL.

Brett