You could use NFS mounted read only databases as you can do so with
CD/DVD based media.

The risks with read-write databases on NFS devices is (was) that in
the old days of UDP protocol based NFS client/servers your connection
may easily break. It is not the case anymore with decent operating
systems (Solaris for example) and good NFS servers (again mostly
Solaris based or those from famous vendor) and good highly available
network infrastructure. Nowadays your servers disks are likely network
connected anyway (FC SAN, iSCSI).

--
Peter