Hello, Lily:

thank you for your response.

while I am still trying to create a test for Derby users, your experiment
is not the same. Notice that in our query we are joining on the same
table. So, T2 is not a different table. It's still the same T1 table, but
aliased as T2...

try something like this:

select
        *
from
        TABLE T1,
        (
                select
                        T2.col
                from
                        TABLE T2
        ) as M
where
        M.col = T1.col

Once I succeed reproducing the error, I will show my test.

What makes me suspect that there is a problem with Derby is two-fold:
- our code seems to hang in ResultSet.next(), which is a call to Derby
JDBC API implementation
- accessing those in-memory tables with AquaDataStudio and running the
same query never returns/succeeds (I stopped after 20 minutes of having it
running, where as the subqueries themselves run in a few milliseconds).
AquaDataStudio is a commercial product and I doubt that it breaks
precisely at the same point and query as our code...

P.