problems above. I suspect derby has been terminated or interrupted while
updating the service.properties file and left the file system in an
inconsistent state. Although I imagine the window for this to happen would
be fairly narrow.

As far as I can tell the call to SYSCS_DISABLE_LOG_ARCHIVE_MODE(1), which is
called during our nightly maintenance task, is the only place in our
application which updates service.properties. Fortunately this call is no
longer needed so we have removed it.

Yikes!

I've never encountered this service.propertiesold problem.

I've also never called the disable-log-archive-mode procedure.

If the two events are indeed related, that sure sounds like a bug in Derby,
so if you have a chance to research this some more and see if you can verify
that there is a real correlation here, that would be worth reporting to
the developers, I think.

thanks,

bryan