On 10/02/2012 14:49, Libor Jelinek wrote:
Right, John. Because these two tables reference each other with FK
constraints thus one column must allow null. Then it's application
logic's responsibility to ensure that immediately when referenced row
from second table is created it is set in first table (i.e. not leaving
it null).

OK. I just seem to remember that some DBMSs allow a single insert to
multiple tables, or inserts to views, which *might* overcome this.

OTOH, if you're trying to achieve a strict 1:1 relation, couldn't you
merge the two tables into one (i.e. instead of table T1 having columns
A, B, C where A is the PK and B is FK to T2, and T2 has B, A, D, have
T with A,B,C,D)? Or again, am I missing something?

 John English | My old University of Brighton home page is still here: