On 10/14/2012 6:34 AM, John English wrote:
On 14/10/2012 14:45, José Ventura wrote:
I might be mistaken, but I think Derby does not support this
out-of-the-box. There are, however, a few interesting solutions
suggested in this (2009) thread:

http://old.nabble.com/Recursive-query-on-common-table-td25819772.html

Thanks! I'm now in the process or recursively trying to construct the transitive closure of all the possible approaches that this page links to... :-)

Doesn't help right now, but you may also wish to vote for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-11. This was an early request but I think pretty hard to implement and I am not sure if there is a SQL standard syntax.